Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How to Shop from an Environmentally-friendly Point-of-View

Hey everyone! This is my first blog EVER! I am so excited to share my personal health and wellness experiences with you in this way. I have found that trying to explain everything about my experiences via email just takes a ton of time and that I can't make those explanations as peronsalized as I can on here. So I hope that those of you who choose to check out and/or follow me enjoy, learn, and love everything that I have to teach you about living to improve your own overall health, vigor, and well-being.

So this is going to be my first official blog post.  For this post, I'm just going to define what I do with my environmentally-friendly online shopping group, and then I'm going to summarize my experiences with them so far. My posts from here on out will probably include each new experience that I have as they occur, along with any health/wellness articles and some fun recipes to boot! Thanks for following me on my health and wellness journey and for being willing to educate yourself right along with me! Here we go!

So, what exactly is this online shopping concept? What do you think of the first time you hear those words? Well, personally, when I first heard them, my thoughts were somewhere along the lines of "Oh, Jesus....I don't want to hear about some crazy tree-hugging group. I just want to go about my business and I most DEFINITELY don't want to get into some pyramid-scheming MLM (multi-level marketing) company." I was really nervous about having to hear about it and initially shunned the group, thinking that it just wasn't worth my time. After all, I had just found out that I was pregnant. I was getting ready to graduate from college, and I was also trying to figure out where I was going to live with my new baby. Shopping from an environmentally-friendly viewpoint was the last thing on my mind.

My friend Kat, who used to be one of my employees at a previous job, initially approached me about the concept in January 2012. It sounded like a scam to me, so I promptly ignored her. She asked if she could do an online presentation with me and, after being sucked into a Shaklee (a different pro-health group with much more expensive products) presentation days beforehand, I was working hard to avoid her. Finally, after moving back home, she asked if we could just hang out and catch up with one another. I agreed.

Kat came over to my house and we spent about an hour telling each other about what we had been up to over the past five years. I told her about the baby, daddy drama, graduation, moving, how I was desperately looking for a job, and getting used to being back in Idaho Falls. She told me about her degree program and her current job working as a dental receptionist. But then she said, "I like my job, but I'm doing so well with my environmentally-friendly group that I think that I might quit." That caught my attention...as a currently single Mom, I thought, "Man...maybe I should hear what she has to say about this." Kat continued to talk about the group and gave me a short presentation about what she does. She said, "I educate people about how to improve their personal health and wellness, and I also provide a business opportunity for those who are interested in partnering with me." Then, she looked me in the eyes and said, "I know you Hollie. We worked together! You are just as much of a go-getter as I am, and I know that if I can do this, you can do this. I want you to be my business partner."

I pondered about what she had to say for a while. "Partnering" with someone sounded kind of fun, fancy, and professional, and she had informed me thoroughly on how this was not an MLM scam like Scentsy, Avon, or Mary Kay. In fact, Kat explained to me that it is like a family tree and that she, and others in the group, would help me every step of the way. I quickly assessed my current financial situation: I had just gotten done with selling my car, piano, bed, and whatever else I could find to get a quick buck in order to pay off some credit card debt and have enough money for the baby. I had just moved back home with my Mom, sister and niece. I had some money, but not much. And I was applying to jobs like crazy. I had even tried out a political survey job (which I quit after a week because I just couldn't stand manipulating little old people into filling out a politically biased survey). And I thought, "Okay, if I'm desperate enough to go through that, this can't possibly be worse."

Ultimately, I signed up with Kat for $1 that day, and I got to work. I have to say that joining the group has been slow going at first, but that was because of me. I wanted to try out some of the products before I turned around and told people about them. I also wanted to do some research and make sure that they weren't just like all of the other products in the stores that claim to be "organic" or "all-natural." After getting my degree in animal science, I knew that there were a lot of businesses out there that simply stamp their products with an “all-natural” or “organic” label and make a few extra bucks off of unsuspecting customers. I also didn't want to be promoting a company that I didn't have confidence in. So, I nit-picked at every little detail; scruitinized and studied until my eyes hurt; and looked into valid and current research in order to make sure that I wasn't getting sucked into some crazy get-rich-quick scheme.

And, to my surprise, it all made sense. More importantly (for me) it all made SCIENTIFIC sense. I compared and contrasted multiple brands with the environmentally-friendly brand and found that, while all products have their pro's and cons, these products ultimately had more positives than negatives. After that, I decided to try some of them out myself to see if they worked. I remember the first time I grabbed the bar soap that they make (with extra shea butter!) in the shower and it was like "Whoa! This is crazy how soft this is!" It was like my whole body was experiencing an orgasm wherever the soap touched (sorry if that is too much info, but seriously...my sister said the same thing)! After trying out some more of their products, I knew I was sold. I knew that, even if I had decided to just be a customer, and not to do the business side of the company, that I still would have been impressed and would have decided to become a customer for life.

****************************************************************************

So, now you know about how I became involved with my environmentally-friendly group. Next, I’m going to talk about my experiences with their products so far. With my first purchase, I bought a candle, some chap stick, a prenatal vitamin pack that included a calcium supplement, and an anti-oxidant supplement.
Using a bullet-point system, I’m going to describe each item and my experience that I had with it (I’m not going to include the actual environmentally-friendly brand name with each item due to advertising no no’s, so if you are interested in any of the items that I list, just contact me personally about it.  My email is listed at the end of this blog post ):

• THE CANDLE: Man, all I have to say is WOW! This candle is supposed to last up to 60 hours. I have burned it for about 10 hours already and it doesn’t even hardly look like I’ve used it. When thinking about the large candles that I would buy at Wal-Mart (which were about twice the size of this one), I know that they may have lasted me 10 hours if I was lucky, let alone six times as long. Plus, the SMELL of the candle is INCREDIBLE! It doesn’t smell too sweet or too strong. It’s a really nice, light scent and it’s made out of high-quality soy.

• THE CHAPSTICK: I will never go back to any other brand of chapstick after this. I think the closest brand that comes to this that you can buy in the store is Nivea or Carmex, but even that doesn’t give the environmentally-friendly stuff justice. And it’s really inexpensive too! For me, it reminds me of the texture of Carmex without the nasty taste or smell. And they have lots of yummy scents to choose from!

• THE VITAMINS: These are the main thing that I have been ranting and raving to friends and family about! I was on just a general gummy prenatal vitamin that I had gotten from the grocery store. I had talked to the doctor about having to take it though, because it was making me constipated. She told me to just take it every other day, which still didn’t help. I found out about these vitamins and discovered that I haven’t had any problems with constipation whatsoever! I have also noticed that I have more energy.  Some other people have even stated that they have saved their lives!  That might sound ridiculous, but it is true!

• THE ANTI-OXIDANT SUPPLEMENT: This is one of the things that, as far as scientific research goes, they still aren’t sure about whether or not anti-oxidant supplements really work. I learned about anti-oxidants in a reproductive biology class that I had last semester though. Anti-oxidants are supposed to decrease the amount of free radicals that are in our systems. Oxidants cause free radicals, and anti-oxidants help to protect against them. Chemically, a free radical occurs when there is an ion or atom that exists with unpaired electrons. Free radicals can be really reactive, which actually speeds up the aging process. In my opinion, fruits and veggies that contain anti-oxidants are good to eat either way, supplement or no supplement. I thought I would try these out just to see if I noticed a difference, but in my opinion, if you eat fruits and veggies that have anti-oxidants in them, there probably isn’t a need to supplement yourself in this way.

These are just a few of the products that I’ve tried so far. There are a few cleaning and hygenic products that I have also tried out, but I think that I will just make one blog that focuses on those since this blog is becoming excessively long!

Does all of this make sense to you? I hope so! None of this information is made up or fake. These are all real-life experiences that I have had, and that I am continuing to have. If you, or anyone in your family, happens to be interested in looking into creating a healthier and happier home environment, please email me, Hollie, at queenogreenhealth@gmail.com. I would be more than happy to educate you and your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment